U12 Premier, Regional United 1 – 1 Newport Town AFC

Saturday, May 13 2017 (Dooradoyle)

Newport scorer: Cillian English

So the final game of the season finally arrived. Newport travelled to Dooradoyle to face Regional United. The team worked hard last time out against league leaders Aisling Annacotty. All were told they would be rewarded with a start against Regional based on their performance. So with that in mind Coaches Dave Brett and Richard Egan had the unenviable task of picking the team. A lot of discussions took place and the starting 9 was eventually chosen.

Mark Forde, Ciarán Carey, David Healey, Conor Jones, Joey Lillis, Ryan O’Keefe(c), Aaron Coleman, Cillian English, Conor Brett.

The game started very cagey as both teams chose defensive formations. Newport had some early chances and forced a few corners.

An end to end game was developing as Ryan O’ Keeffe drew a foul on the right wing. Aaron sent the free kick hard and low and after a couple of rebounds Cillian English pounced on the loose ball and scored. Cillian had another chance soon after but hit the post.

Regional responded and forced a corner. From this the referee harshly judged David to have handled the ball. A penalty was given and Mark touched the ball onto the post. Soon after there were shouts for handball again from the resulting corner. This time the referee waved play on. The subs were introduced Conor Molamphy played wide left, Daire Cantillon centre half and Chris Egan on the right wing. Sean Reddington filled in at left back. Ryan Madden later held the ball up well as the target man.

Regional forced several chances and hit the woodwork. Mark produced several fine saves also to deny Regional. Regional equalised and later missed further chances.

As the final whistle blew Newport did well to keep Regional level. The fighting spirit and work ethic instilled in the whole squad has seen Newport hold on to their premier league status. Once again the support on the sidelines really helped the team.