Derryleigh Diary – October 7 2018

On a recent good run of form, the A team were in confident mood heading into Garryown on Sunday morning to take on Premier League side Geraldines in the second round of the Munster Junior Cup. With almost a full squad to choose from, manager, Marc Barry, was hopeful of his side causing a cup upset. However it wasn’t to be as it was Geraldines who ran out winners on a 4-1 scoreline, which wasn’t a true reflection of the game.

Newport did soak up a fair bit of pressure and rode our luck at times in the first half but our resistance was finally broken in the 38th minute, when we failed to clear a corner and the Geraldines player was able to tap-in from close range. A goal down at half-time but Newport were still well in this game.

In the 49th minute, skipper, Brian O’Sullivan, made a surging run into the box and when he was clearly taken down, referee Ryan McCann, pointed to the spot. Having won the penalty, the captain, calmly slotted the spot-kick to level the game.

The turning points of the game came on the hour mark. Newport should have been awarded a freek kick in the Geraldines half but the ref waved play in and the home side attacked and were awarded a penalty, which they duly converted to make it 2-1. Just a minute later, Peter O’Sullivan, received his second yellow and his marching orders and as if the job wasn’t hard enough, Newport would have to play out the remainder of the game with just 10 players.

Newport dug deep and put in a great effort for the final half hour but couldn’t find a way back into the game. Geraldines scored two late, late goals in injury time to distort the scoreline and advance into the next round. The A team will be back in league action next Saturday under lights when they travel to Dooradoyle to play Regional at 7pm.

The B team got back to winning ways when they beat Ballynanty B in Bateman Park on Sunday afternoon, with goals from Nathan Hartigan (2), Thomas Carroll & Seamus Bridgeman.

Both the C team & U18s suffered disappointing defeats on Sunday afternoon. The C team were well beaten by Coonagh, while the U18s failed to play anywhere near their potential, when crashing out of the Munster Youths Cup against premier side, Mungret Regional. The lads will have a quick chance to put this defeat behind them as they are away to Regional B next Sunday morning at 10.30am in the league.

The Round 3 draw has been made for the FAI Junior Cup. Newport have been drawn at home to Div 2A side Patrickswell. Date & time to be confirmed.

It was a busy weekend for our competitive schoolboys but unfortunately only one result went our way. It was just one of those weekends. Our U13 schoolboys travelled to Ennis to play Avenue Utd in the National Cup. Unfortunately the lads came up against an excellent Clare side who won the game and advance to the next round. Ciaran Carey scored a consolation goal for Newport.

The U13B team recorded an excellent 6-3 win at home to Moyross with goals from Conor O’Brien 4, Daithi Whelton & Evan Moran. Unfortunately our U15A side are going through a sticky patch at the moment with nothing seeming to go their way and this continued on Saturday, when they lost 4-0 away to Regional.

In the non-competitive age groups, our two U9 sides and two U11 sides were also in action last Saturday. The U9s played Aisling Annacotty & Shelbourne, while the U11s played Geraldines & Lisnagry. These were all great exciting games with some excellent skills on display and some excellent goals scored. Well done to all the players.

Our U12, U14 & U17 girls were in action over the weekend. The U17 girls secured a very good 1-1 draw away to neighbours and local rivals, Birdhill, with Leah Moran on the scoresheet. This really was a hard fought match and the girls earned the away point. Well done to them all. We would like to wish a speedy recovery to injured players, Emma Moloney, Leona Burke and Abbie Lenihan.

Unfortunately the U14s bowed out of the National Cup when they were beaten away from home by an excellent Cashel side, while the U12s lost to Kilavilla, despite a brave effort.

Following on from their great win in Round 1 of the National Cup, the U18 girls have been drawn at home to Limerick side Regional Utd, with the game to be played next Saturday in Derryleigh Park at 2pm.

The U11 & U15 girls will also be in action next Saturday. The U11s are away to BT Harps at 10am, while the U15s are home to Ballymackey at 12 noon.

Congrats to Abbie Lenihan on being selected for the Munster U15 Schools squad. Everyone in NTAFC is very proud of you.

Calorie Kickers
Our Calorie Kickers continue to kick off those pounds every Wednesday from 7 to 8pm in our Derryleigh Clubhouse. New Kickers are welcome cost is €5 joining fee and €3 a week weigh in.

Last Man Standing Round 7
With just 19 players still standing before the weekend, the picks were Burnley (9), Brighton (3), Spurs (2), Watford (2), Leicester (1), Arsenal (1) & Man Utd (1). Just Brighton, Spurs, Arsenal & Man Utd won their games, so just 7 players now remain as we enter Round 9 after the International break.

There was no winner of the club’s lotto on Saturday, October 6 and this week’s jackpot is €4,550 with the next draw taking place on Saturday, October 13 in Gleeson’s Bar. The numbers drawn were 6, 11, 14 & 18. Thanks as always to everyone who supports the club’s main fund raiser.