Junior A, FAI Junior Cup, Round 3, Newport Town AFC 5-2 Patrickswell

Back row L-R Jimmy Fyffe, Elliott Slattery, Mark McGuire, Kalem Harte, James Lynch, Christy Doyle, Kevin Connolly Front row L-R Darren Collins, Dave Kennedy, Kevin O’Brien, Davy Ryan, Brian O’Sullivan, Brendan Coffey, Nathan Hartigan

Sunday, October 21 2018 (Derryleigh Park)

Scorers: Davy Ryan 3, Kalem Harte & Christy Doyle

The A team progressed to round 4 of the FAI Junior Cup with a comfortable and well-deserved 5-2 victory against Patrickswell on Sunday morning in Derryleigh Park. A first-half hat-trick from Davy Ryan and second half goals from Kalem Harte & Christy Doyle ensured Newport’s safe passage to round 4.

On paper, Newport were warm favourites going into the game as they currently top Div 1B and their opposition are in the bottom half of the division below. However anything can happen in cup football and form goes out the window. Within one minute of the kick-off Newport were sent an early warning when the home keeper, Brendan Coffey did well to touch a long-range effort onto the post and deny the visitors an early lead. Thankful of the early let-off, Newport took the lead in the seventh minute when Davy Ryan did well to get on the end of a cross from the right wing and fired home from inside the penalty box.

The next twenty minutes were 50-50 with neither side really asserting their game on the opposition. In the 26th minute, Patrickswell were awarded a penalty when their player was was deemed to have been taken down in the box when moving away from goal. Maybe a harsh decision but the ref had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Despite Brendan Coffey doing well to get a hand to the spot-kick, the power of the shot was too much to stop the ball hitting the back of the net.

Newport realised they were in a game and began to up the tempo and two quick goals in the 34th and 36th minutes gave Newport a 3-1 lead. Both goals were identical. Darren Collins firing in a long-range shot which the keeper could only parry and on both occasions, Davy Ryan was in the right place to capitalise on the loose ball. Newport took this lead into the half-time break.

Newport made some changes in the second half and one of them paid off, when substitute Kalem Harte scored a cheeky lob from inside the box on the hour mark to make it 4-1. Just 5 minutes later, Christy Doyle scored a trademark headed goal when he latched onto a cross from Kalem Harte. 5-1 and the game was safe.

Newport took the foot off the pedal as the whistle final approached and Patrickswell scored a late consolation goal in the 88th minute to leave the final result 5-2 in Newport’s favour.

This probably wasn’t Newport’s best performance of the season but in cup football, it’s the result that’s all-important. Round 4 is still the local stage of the blue riband of Junior football and Newport will be hoping for a favourable draw when their name is pulled from the hat in FAI HQ in the next week or two.